Practice As Mastery - Witnessing The Self Through Presencing

I immersed myself deeply within my practice for mastery of Witnessing the Self by using varied methods such as note-taking, reflective recording, and video documenting. I have tried to be aware and observant of myself and the relationship I have been building with my experiences and actions through these methods.

It was while I was developing my own tools to document my experiences that I revisited Theory U by Otto Scharmer. Otto Scharmer in his theory speaks of 'Presencing',  which he describes as an act of seeing from the source, and as a state where we step into our real being, who we really are, the authentic. The core idea in this concept is to shift the perception of the source of a new emerging possibility. Scharmer's depiction of Presencing is plotted on a 'U' graph which moves into Enaction and Institutionalization. This depiction of future possibility was not relevant to my current inquiry hence, I decided to tweak the tool to suit my needs. 

Using the concept of  Presencing, I plotted the actions, experiments, and experiences from different phases using 3 lenses - Seeing, Sensing and Presencing.  I plotted my information as a movement from the exterior to the interior - Seeing to Presencing in order to decipher the shifts that occurred in perception.   

The Presencing map below plots perceptions and movements from various phases of this study - 

Map 1 




The Presencing map below plots perceptions from the workshop Adorning and Witnessing, where I performed as Zaba and Bhootham. 

Map 2 


Comments