Witnessing The Self In Making


Day 1

Many emotions accompanied the making process. The anticipation to see the finished product runs high throughout, but it is the sense of oneness with the act of making itself that I continue to cherish. Through my impatience to get done quickly, I reminded myself of the Theyyam and Koodiyattam artists who sat for hours, in absolute oneness with their act.

The action of making in silence is a ritual in itself, in this space, all standstill. I was envisioning and planning the mask at many levels, color, material, symbolism, and aesthetics were active emotions. The need to be convincing and honest to what I wanted to convey with the mask (albeit an undercurrent) was omnipresent throughout.
A disguise that reveals and not conceals, demanded that I interact with the baskets from the same lens. I decided not to interfere with the natural structure of the basket and did not camouflage the surface with any other material. The basket is experienced and witnessed as a basket. This was a tough choice to make, painting on an uneven, woven surface is hard and requires double the effort! Nevertheless what came of it makes me immensely happy! 

This ritual of time and oneness with the making process is something I hope to keep paying attention to and be aware of. I am curious to see how my relationship with time changes through this journey of making. 

I sorely missed a community with whom I could share this space of making. Thoughts and ideas from others about the masks would have infused many new energies into the making process. However, I have managed to rope in my husband, and he is as invested in my masks as I am! Over the weekend we worked on the masks together, we discussed colors, forms and the best ways to put it all together. It is backbreaking work and draining too. We still have a long way to go and so much more to do. 

Is it through patience I am becoming worthy of this adornment?



Comments