Witnessing The Self Through Choices


I decided to make my masks using sieves or baskets. The choice of woven baskets was driven by the natural and eco - friendly nature of this material. The structure of the basket also allows for fastening attachments without glue. For the colors and details, I had in mind poster colors for opaqueness and recycled fabric which could add texture. My original plan was to use a Tamil Nadu sieve which is unique due to its oblong shape for the Bhootham mask and a Circular basket for Zaba.

Any Bangalorean worth their salt knows that for eclectic needs one heads to Russell Market and Shivaji Nagar, where anything can be found! I absolutely love the energy and rush of this market place and see it as a living example of everything that defines our culture and people. This market is a confluence of business, street vendors, color, noise, street food, clothing shops, and religion, all these establishments co-exist in close proximity, blending into each other and yet retaining their own mark.


As I trolled the market I discovered artisans who make baskets from palm leave, they did not have the Tamil Nadu Sieve though. Upon searching in multiple shops I was told that the oblong sieves are hard to find here as they are not local to this culture. As I had stated the importance of using materials that are of local relevance and recognised by people are everyday objects, I decided to drop the oblong sieve idea and find an alternative.
I visited the bamboo weavers next and rummaged through their vast collection of baskets to arrive at what I will finally take home. The shop owners themselves had suggestions on how I could fix stuff on to the basket and how to cut the eye hole without destroying the weave.

Next was a visit to the tailors complex to find waste cloth that could add colours and details to the masks. A few small knick-knacks like beads and buttons which I thought would be useful were also bought.  

Armed with my loot, its time to make the 'real' thing!



Comments